If someone with diabetes is interested in beginning to use an insulin pump, the best thing they can to do is call the Healthy Living Insulin Pump Therapy Team (meet the stellar lineup of George and Crystal). They make what can be a very complicated enrollment process very easy.
9 Steps to Collaborating with Healthy Living for a New Insulin Pump
When a member, let’s call him ‘Hank,’ is interested in getting started with insulin pump therapy, our Insulin Pump Therapy Team sets the process in motion by:
1. Finding out if Hank has talked to his doctor about the pump request.
2. Verifying Hank’s insurance and finding out what kinds of pumps he qualifies for and the associated copays.
3. Explaining to Hank what insulin pumps are covered and their basic differences.
4. Encouraging him to personally research his options on pump manufacturer websites and talk to his doctor for a recommendation.
5. Facilitating the prior authorization process (required by some health plans), by gathering documents demonstrating medical necessity:
· Blood sugar logs for the prior 60 days
· Clinical notes from last two office visits
· Proof of diabetes education
· Qualifying lab results (A1c, fasting glucose, and C-peptide)
6. Confirming order details with Hank and shipping out his insulin pump, once approved by his insurance company.
7. Telling Hank about pump training, which is normally scheduled by the pump manufacturers.
8. Setting Hank up to get recurring orders for pump supplies, with refill reminders available via phone, text, or email. Members going on a pump also often like to get their test strips, glucometer, and pharmacy medications through Healthy Living so that everything comes in one box.
9. And down the road…obtaining prescriptions for refills on pump supplies for members as needed.
Communication with the Doctor’s Office & Insurance Company Is Covered
There are a lot of minutia to put together to obtain and start using an insulin pump, and the details require patience and lots of communication. Healthy Living collaborates directly with the doctor’s office and the insurance company for members. We take care of all documentation and information gathering, and request everything that is needed from the doctor.
A Team Prepared to Serve by Years of Experience
Healthy Living and our dedicated Insulin Pump Therapy Team has years (24 years collectively, between Crystal and George) of experience working with people with diabetes. Our company fosters empathy in employees, through the weeklong Wear-a-Pump Challenges and other ongoing education. Healthy Living works with all major insulin pump manufacturers, including OmniPod, Tandem Diabetes Care and Medtronic. We are fully prepared to help customers understand their options and enroll to start receiving the benefits of insulin pump therapy, making the process as smooth and effortless as possible!