Have you checked out Diabetes Mine? This blog helps me keep current on happenings in the diabetes world, especially around new technology for people living with diabetes. This particular article is worth checking out: Fitbit Going All In on Diabetes, Roping in Insurers. It walks us through the many investments that Fitbit is making, as well as the partnerships the company is forming, to build a stronger foundation of support for the diabetes community.
According to the Diabetes Mine blog, Fitbit has been:
- collaborating with Dexcom to soon offer a new Fitbit Ionic smartwatch that will specifically display diabetes CGM data;
- giving One Drop users access to Fitbit data and working with them on a custom diabetes mobile app;
- partnering with Medtronic in late 2016 on the professional CGM front for T2s;
- investing in future Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) technology; and
- most recently, working with major insurance provider UnitedHealthcare on a pair of fitness and glucose monitoring program.
The article includes more details on each of these bullets, explaining that another interesting step that Fitbit has taken is their investment in Sano Intelligence, a company that is developing "minimally invasive" CGM technology. All of this is great news for people with diabetes, and those who support and serve them. We are excited to see how all of this will unfold!