Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM)
If you are living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) can help you make more informed treatment decisions that lead to better glycemic control.
Healthy Living provides Medtronic & Dexcom CGM products.
Medtronic Guardian Connect CGM System:
- Works with any therapy or pump, including MDI, Tandem pumps, and older pumps (you do not need a Medtronic pump with this system)
- Automatically uploads data directly to the physician’s office via Medtronic’s CareLink platform
- Sends out predictive alerts for highs and lows 60 minutes in advance
- Creates actionable trends from user CGM data with IBM Watson integration
- Has a transmitter that lasts for one year, does not need a receiver, and has a month’s supply that comes with five sensors for a total of 35 days of wear time
Dexcom G6 CGM System:
- Includes smart phone integration with a variety of iOS and Android devices.
- Is fingerstick-free (imagine avoiding over 1,000 finger pokes per year!) with no required calibration.
- Offers longer, 10-day wear time on the sensor and a streamlined applicator.
- Has been approved for adults and pediatric patients two years of age and older.
- Provides accurate glucose readings, even when taking acetaminophen.
Dexcom G4 Platinum CGM:
- Allows remote viewing of glucose levels, trends, and data between the person with diabetes and their spouse, grandparent, or other loved ones from an Apple iPhone or iPod touch.
- Provides accurate, consistent results with a high-performing sensor.
- Requires two calibrations per day for optimal accuracy.
Medtronic Guardian Sensor 3 CGM:
- Is an integral part of MiniMed 670G insulin pump therapy system – the world’s first hybrid closed loop system.
- Has been FDA-approved and to control insulin dosing.
- Includes a sensor and a transmitter.
- Features seven-day wear and easy insertion.
Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM:
- Integrates directly with many iOS and Android devices or the Dexcom G5 Mobile Receiver via Bluetooth technology.
- Provides real-time glucose readings and trends with fewer fingersticks.
- Offers customizable Dexcom audio alerts with mute and vibrate options through the mobile app.
- Securely shares data for care team access.
- Is approved for adults and pediatric patients two years of age and older.
- We now can provide the Dexcom G5 to qualifying Medicare members!
Medtronic Enlite CGM:
- Is compatible with Medtronic 530G & 630G pumps.
- Allows you to view CGM information directly on the insulin pump.
- Can set insulin delivery suspend thresholds for low blood sugar.
How does CGM work?
A continuous glucose monitor is a small, wearable device system that tracks your glucose throughout the day and night, notifying you of highs and lows so you can take action. A CGM system consists of three parts:
- Small, under-the-skin sensor that measures glucose levels in the interstitial tissue
- Transmitter that attaches to the sensor and transmits data
- Receiver or smart device that displays real-time glucose information
Why is CGM so helpful?
Continuous glucose monitoring can help you make the best possible treatment decisions. With CGM, you will see your blood glucose trend data instead of basing your choices solely on a single number from a blood glucose meter reading.
You can also set thresholds for high and low numbers, and the CGM will alert you when it senses your glucose levels have moved out of the safe range you set.
We love to help.
You can reach our Insulin Pump & CGM Therapy Team via phone call
at (866)779-8512 (select option 2) or text message at (248)577-9903.