Why Insulin Pumps?
Because of insulin pumps, many people living with diabetes, young and old, have better control of their insulin delivery. Insulin pumps also allow for fewer injections and a more flexible lifestyle. The pump option is great for athletes and people on the go because of more precise insulin dosing that can lead to improved performance and energy levels. Improvements in technology continue to make it easier to manage diabetes. Every little tweak and new option on the market makes a difference.
Developing New Technology
There is plenty of buzz about the new insulin pumps to be released this year by Medtronic and Tandem, and for good reason. Both of these established companies are offering pumps with new features that will increase quality of life and ease of disease management for many people living with diabetes. Here are some of the most noteworthy features:
Medtronic Minimed 630G –
· Remote insulin dosing with wireless meter offers quick, easy delivery of a bolus
· SmartGuard(TM) technology stops insulin delivery if a patient’s sensor glucose values go below a preset level with no response to alarms
· Waterproof protection
· Color screen
Tandem t:slim X2 –
· Two-way Bluetooth connects with multiple external devices at one time (one day it will communicate with the Dexcom G5 and a patient’s smartphone at the same time)
· Planned software upgrade to connect with Dexcom G5 Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) will display data directly on the pump screen
· Tandem will continue to upgrade the pump’s software, including a new smartphone app and predictive low glucose suspend
· Color touch screen
More Options for Children & Parents
The convenience of a remote bolus dose will be easier for everyone, especially parents or caregivers helping children. Waterproof protection will also make baths, swimming lessons, and beach days a lot simpler. Research has shown that insulin pumps are an effective option in diabetes care for children. A large, long-term study of insulin pump use in children published in Diabetologia in 2013 demonstrated that pump therapy provides sustained improvement in glycemic control and reductions of severe hypoglycemia and hospitalization compared with a study group using only injections. Advancements in pumps are helping children living with diabetes stay healthier (and happier).
Curious about the Upgrade?
At Healthy Living, we are preparing for the transition by educating ourselves as much as possible on the features of the improved pumps, working closely with manufacturers on upgrade programs, and monitoring availability as new information is released. When I say ‘we,’ I am mainly talking about Crystal and George, our stellar Insulin Pump Therapy Team. They answered a few questions for me today:
1. What should existing Healthy Living customers do if they want one of the new pump models?
The first thing to do is contact us. We can confirm if you are eligible for a new pump through insurance or from a manufacturer upgrade program. Call (866)779-8512 and choose prompt 2 to reach us.
2. What should new customers do if they are interested in one of the new pumps?
Talk to us first - call (866)779-8512 and choose prompt 2. We’ll verify insurance and what you’re eligible for and start gathering documentation to process your pump, once they become available.
3. What questions do people most often have about insulin pumps when they’re getting started, and what answers do you give?
According to George and Crystal, common questions include:
Q: Is the pump hard to operate?
A: Pumps are easy to operate and we can support you as you learn.
Q: Do you still have to check your blood sugar?
A: Yes, you still have to do regular daily glucose checks (4 on average), even if using the CGM.
Q: Does the pump have to be surgically inserted?
We look forward to learning more about the soon-to-be-released Tandem and Medtronic pumps as information becomes available! In the meantime, we’re here to help!
· Text us @ (248)577-9903 or call us @ (866)779-8512.
· Reach us through online chat at myhlms.com.
· Check out our new online store at myhlms.com/shop for accessories and over-the-counter medications.
· Visit myhlms.com/providers to electronically complete and sign prescriptions for patients.