The Medtronic MiniMed® 670G System is the world’s first hybrid closed loop insulin pump system, sometimes referred to as an artificial pancreas. The system constantly self-adjusts to automatically keep your sugar levels in range, based on how you live your everyday life. This FDA-approved system is specialized for type 1 diabetes patients, ages 14 and over, and requires a prescription. The Medtronic MiniMed® 670G System is now shipping.
3 New Features that Set the 670G Apart from Earlier Insulin Pumps:
1. Manual Mode – Suspend-before-low option helps you avoid lows and rebound highs proactively by automatically stopping insulin 30 minutes before you reach pre-selected low limits, then automatically restarting insulin when your levels recover (without alerts).
2. Auto Mode – Automatically adjusts basal insulin delivery up and down every 4 minutes, based on your sugar levels, to keep you in target range, all day and night. The system can temporarily change your glucose target during athletic activity to help maintain a safe range.
3. Guardian sensor 3 continuous glucose monitoring sensor – Offers seven-day wear and easy insertion, and is the first and only CGM sensor that is FDA-approved and trusted to control insulin dosing.
Other Medtronic MiniMed® 670G System Highlights:
- Glucose levels are automatically kept within range all night long for a restful, uninterrupted night’s sleep.
- The system is waterproof, with a bright color screen.
- At meals and snacks, only check your glucose and enter the number of carbs when you administer a bolus. The 670G system will do the math to regulate your insulin and keep glucose levels in range without any necessary insulin injections.
Speaking from Experience
Jason Gensler is a person with type 1 diabetes and the founder of the Foundation for Type One Diabetes. Jason has been wearing the Medtronic 670G for the last 2 years or so and can share these insights (in his words):
- "I am experiencing very impressive results, yet I’m only testing 4-5 times per day and calibrating three times."
- "I’d say the best aspect is that the system itself is so intuitive and user-friendly. It’s always one step ahead, and the sensor is incredibly accurate."
- "It’s a relief! The day that it sinks in, when you realize that you’ve relinquished a majority of the control to the pump, is the day you begin to experience the freedom that so many of us haven’t had since the day we were diagnosed."
- "Living with T1D is hard, and staying positive can be even harder, but I’d like to remind everyone to appreciate just how far our industry has come. The technology that has been developed in the last few years is unbelievable! Let’s all be grateful that we live in a time where technology can help us lead normal lives, and that we can’t have unrealistic expectations and find a cure yesterday."
Sources for Jason Gensler quotes:
Learn more about the 670G directly from the Medtronic website.