Healthy Living Medical Supply’s Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Team had the opportunity to participate in a live webinar yesterday from Medtronic – the focus of the session was their new stand-alone CGM product known as the Guardian Connect CGM System. Our team has been eagerly anticipating the launch of this product since the product received FDA approval back in March.
Here are a few highlights of what we learned about the product during the webinar:
1. The Guardian Connect transmitter connects via Bluetooth technology to iPhones (and iPod Touch devices if you can purchase one on eBay)
2. The sensor is the same as the one used for the 670G closed loop system, but the Guardian Connect transmitter DOES NOT communicate with the 670G pump. The transmitter is labeled “GC” which differentiates it from the transmitter used with the 670G pump.
3. The system does not have a receiver—this will be a great benefit to those patients who don’t want to haul around another piece of hardware.
4. Android support is coming-Medtronic is targeting the end of the calendar year for Android users.
5. The sensor features a new barrier which helps mitigate against skin irritation – this is also the smallest sensor ever for a Medtronic CGM product.
6. Sensor wear time is up to 7 days and the system includes a one-year warranty.
7. The system features a range of alerts, including predictive alerts which can notify of highs and lows anywhere from 10-60 minutes in advance.
8. Patients can invite up to five care partners to view data and receive alerts via SMS and data is easily shared with providers via the Care Link system.
9. The Guaurdian Connect CGM System providers users access to the Sugar.IQ diabetes assistant, which is a separate application on the phone. The Sugar.IQ app takes real time data from the Guardian Connect app, sync with IBM’s Watson, and then presents various insulin, food and motivational insights to the user.
Medtronic’s Guardian Connect Smart CGM system is slated to be released in early summer. The system is not approved by Medicare, but should be reimbursed by most major commercial insurances including Blue Cross Blue Shield, Health Alliance Plan of Michigan, Priority Health, etc.
If you are a patient and wish to learn more about the Guradian Connect Smart CGM system, visit this link.
For providers interested in learning more, visit this link.
If you would like to be contacted by Healthy Living once this system becomes available, please fill out the brief form below: