Awesome news! Medicare has recently announced a new benefit category for continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and is moving to cover CGM at some point in the future. To be included in this category, the continuous glucose monitoring system must be defined as a “therapeutic” CGM, meaning that patients can make treatment decisions using the device. The only CGM that currently qualifies is Dexcom’s G5 CGM System which received FDA approval for insulin dosing last month.
What is CGM?
Continuous glucose monitoring is a small wearable device system that tracks a patient’s glucose throughout the day and night. A CGM delivers fast and reliable blood glucose readings every five minutes or so to a receiver, a phone, or an insulin pump - logging hundreds of readings a day. Continuous glucose monitoring can help diabetes patients make the best possible decisions since they are able to see their trend data provided by the CGM instead of basing choices only on a number from a blood glucose meter reading. A CGM system consists of three parts: a small under-the-skin sensor that measures glucose levels, a transmitter that attaches to the sensor and transmits data, and a receiver that displays real-time glucose information.
Contact us with questions.
This announcement about upcoming coverage for CGM is great for all Medicare members and Healthy Living customers, many of whom will benefit from this important technology for helping control diabetes. Healthy Living’s Pump Therapy and Continuous Glucose Monitoring team is working with our partners to learn more and will be prepared to answer your questions as more details emerge.
We make managing your diabetes supplies easy.
- We work with many insurance plan partners.
- You can approve your refills via text or phone.
- Our company’s focus is excellence in customer service.
- In addition to providing supplies, we also have a mail-order pharmacy.
- Diabetes is our specialty, and we’re prepared to help!
WE LOVE TO HELP.
- Sign up for the Healthy Living Blog at myhlms.com/subscribe.
- Call us @ (866)779-8512 or text us @ (248)577-9903.
- Reach us through online chat at myhlms.com.
- Check out our online store at myhlms.com/shop for accessories and over-the-counter medications.
- Visit myhlms.com/providers to electronically complete and sign prescriptions for patients.